16-ounce pack of kataifi dough
1 cup ghee (clarified butter) or melted unsalted butter
Syrup for dough
1 cups Sugar
½ cups Water
Lime juice from half a lime
1 teaspoon rose water
4 cups lightly roasted unsalted shelled pistachios
Syrup for filling
½ cup Granulated Sugar
½ cup honey (kater syrup)
½ cup Water
2 teaspoons rose water
1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place kataifi dough in a baking pan. Separate the fine strands of dough. Drizzle the clarified butter (ghee) or melted butter on it. Mix well, fluffing the dough, then place the pan in preheated oven. Bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
2. Fluff the dough with a fork and bake for additional 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. To prepare syrup for the dough: Mix 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water in a pan on medium low heat, until sugar is melted. Add lime juice. Once it comes to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Let cool. Add rose water. Set aside.
4. To prepare filling: Pulse the pistachios in food processor. Grind them to desired coarseness. Set aside. Start to make a syrup for the filling: In a large wok-like pan, mix water, sugar, and honey and lemon juice. Heat on stove at medium-low heat. When comes to a boil, reduce heat to low simmer for 4 minutes. Add rose water. Add ground pistachios and mix well.
5. To assemble: Put the lightly baked dough on parchment paper. Drizzle the syrup (that you prepared first) all over the dough and gently mix well.
6. Grease a 10” x 13” glass pan with melted ghee or butter. Take half the dough mixed with syrup and layer it as bottom layer on greased glass pan. Try to line the fibers lengthwise as much as you can and press firmly down with back of cup. Add filling on top of bottom layer of dough and spread across evenly. Press down firmly on the bottom layer of dough with a greased bottom of a measuring cup. Top with another layer of dough and spread evenly. Again press down firmly on the filling. Cover with parchment paper. Place another small heavy pan and some weights on top and let it sit for 10 hours at room temperature.
7. The next day, remove the weights and parchment paper. With sharp knife cut in to desired sized squares and serve.